Posted 1 years 259 days ago ago by Harlequin 5 Comments
Due to these screenshots coming from streaming video the quality certainly isn't the best (we have better, higher quality concept art in the gallery). Please take that into consideration. All that said I am going to present the notes of the 3 panelists. CCP Chris, David Reed and Reynir. These notes will NOT be of any info already released (they repeated a fair amount of info released at TGM 2011) only new or more clarified info are in these notes. At the end of the panel CCP Chris made it clear they are "going underground" info wise again, and will resurface when they are ready.
They defined the 3 types of game play;
- The Year 1 playable slice of game play CCP Chris talked about to us here at WoD News was played by all 3 main CCP offices for a entire 2 weeks. A entire game play manual was written to help the CCP employees to navigate the game and explain mechanics.
- They are building "seamless city tech" on the "one shard" concept. (In the in-game footage it was clear walking into establishments were in the same space as the outside world (like Rockstars modern GTA series) you could clearly see the interior of a cafe the camera panned by from the outside and the doorway to go in.)
- Coffeehouse - the social aspect, low to no conflict, casual or social player focused
- Theme park - The spirit of WoD, politics, backstabbing, etc
- Sandbox - Primary focus, the biggest part of the game, control cities (prince)
- Intense hand to hand (HtH) combat
- Vicious politics; players vote for other players for positions (like prince)
- Fashion; lots of styles and options
- Aiming for stunning visuals that age well
- They feel no pressure for peaks in vampire fads (like twilight) they feel vampires have and always will be popular peaks aside. Thus the fads have no influence on their game design. As they feel it is a mistake to jump on the peak bandwagons.
- WoD was formed from the remains of a secret undisclosed project they were working on ~2005 they decided to change and move it over to the WoD MMO.
- The game world will mostly be fictional places and landmarks but use real world city names, to quote "(we will) be using stylised versions, but they will be named after real cities.".
- Due to power vacuum low population cities will be attractive to others, thus they feel there will not be much of a issue with some cities being over populated and others a ghost town as in other MMO's. CCP Chris also hinted on day 1 there will be a system in place to distro the population evenly to start.
- Permadeath will work differently then the PnP game but permadeath is in.
- Have little doubt will be rated M on release.
- Cities will have types of "territory markers" to separate different supernatural types.
- A question about what clans will start went from the clear "7 clans" at TGM 2011 to now "the originals" and they seemed to stumble around this question and deflected a bit. I got the distinct feeling they may be considering the "original" 13.
- They implied the cam vs. sabbat theme is being considered.
- Main goals in the game is to amass blood and territory.
- Generation will NOT be used as a replacement for level. But the stat will be used in some way.
- When asked about crafting they downplayed it quite a bit. It did not sound as if there will be much in the way of crafting. They answered by saying players will "not be able to sew your own clothes". They also down played possible weapon making. Saying most kindred will fight using their innate abilities.
The following are new concept art images;
The following images are all from a IN-GAME movie, however no character avatar were present, video at the end;
1 years 252 days ago
I'm surprised you didn't post the entire presentation though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_xGH0v93U
1 years 259 days ago
>dat city >dat music NNNGHHHHHHHHHHH
1 years 259 days ago
I'm being a dick about it knowingly—the latter approach can be great—I just don't like it being the go-to rule of thumb, ‘the right way’ to make a game that's ‘not just about the graphics’ and rhetoric like that. Fuck that straw man. Kudos again, CCP.
1 years 259 days ago
Well, I came. Was it good for you? I adore CCP's unshakable commitment to graphical fidelity throughout this decade in which most MMO developers have been so scared of encouraging you to upgrade your Dell XPS Gen 3 that they fall back on low overhead cartoonish looks and call it an art style.